Tuesday, July 07, 2009

4th of July

I really do love this holiday. Especially now that we don't live on the University Ave parade route in Provo. Ahhhh....

We went camping with the Madsen side of the fam down by Nephi on the Nebo Scenic Loop. For all the camping I've done all over Utah, I'd never been there and it was beautiful!! Seriously. You need to camp there. There was plenty of games, food, hiking, and good times had by all!

Our first day rained on and off, but it made for great lighting. Andrew kept picking up rocks and then looking over at me before he threw them. I knew he was just waiting to get in trouble. hehehehe
Photobucket

Taking Vala (yes, she's named after a Stargate character ;) for a walk.
Photobucket

Uncle Josh taught Rachel how to play "War".
Photobucket

Dutch Oven lasagna, garlic cheese rolls, and raspberry cobbler. Mmmm...
Photobucket

This was the first year Rachel got to hike on her own. She's WAY too heavy for us to pack around. Would've broken my already seriously-in-trouble back. She did great though. I think we went about 3 miles round trip. I was so proud of her! Although- we did learn that hiking is no longer exercise (due to the pace & the length Rachel can handle). Anyone want to babysit so Sam & I can go book it on the trails? Oh- and aren't you jealous of how beautiful I look after camping for a few days? muuuhahahaha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hooray for hiking poles with camera mounts!
Photobucket

After unpacking & showering (hallelujah!) we met back up at our house for pizza, fireworks, and more games. We lit off a few before the kids went to bed. As you can see, it's still light outside, but they liked it!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My amazing grandparents!
Photobucket

After the kids went to bed, we lit off the rest and had a little fun with the camera.
Photobucket

Photobucket

ETA: This one was all Sam's idea! And he thinks he's not artistic... ;)
Photobucket

5 comments:

Sam Curren said...

I'd just like to say that the last one (heart with sparklers) was my idea!

Katie said...

Jess these pictures are amazing, but what's new?!?! You always look beautiful.. I'm so jealous!

BTW - Where to you find your hiking carriers? I hate to pay full price. Can you recommend a good brand? We have one, and it's nice but it was a gift and we need another one.

Barbie Madsen said...

Camping was so much fun! Josh and I had a great time. Now you and Sam just need to find a time to come and visit us! We'll show you a great time and I am sure there are lots of great spots to take pictures!! Love ya -- The sparkler pic turned out awesome!

Sam Curren said...

Katie - Since Jess didn't answer yet: We did tons of research and bought a Deuter Kid Comfort for a child carrier. (We also have a Deuter KangaKid). They are EXPENSIVE, but worth it. It has a slot for a hydration pack, and it wears exactly like a nice backpack. The kids sleep easily in it, which makes it easier on long hikes. We bought it a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly how much we paid or where we got them.

Mickelle Marston said...

Very creative Jess!