Monday, November 12, 2007

Public Service Announcement: How to Use Google Reader

Here's to my friends who wanted to know how to use a feed reader to keep track of their various blogging friends. Sam found this video which explains it very well, but if you are too impatient to watch it, here's the condensed written version:
1) Go get a Google Reader account (basically just a google account, and you log in at the google reader page).
2) On the left hand side of the screen, you will see an "add subscription" button.
3) Click on said button.
4) Copy & paste the URL (web address) of your friend's blog into the box that opens up.
5) Your friend's blog will then be added to the list on left, while any posts they have will show up on the right.
6) You can scroll through them in reader, or click on the title to visit the actual blog page (I like it when you do that, because it ups my page views and Sam & I are having a contest).
7) Add more subscriptions, and you can manage and categorize them using the "manage subscriptions" link down in the bottom left corner.

Using a reader basically saves you from visiting every website, every day to find out if there is anything new. I subscribe to 70+ different feeds and there's no way I would check every one. I don't have that much time. But, if you do, and you like it, feel free.

No comments: