Friday, February 08, 2008

Keeping Faith: Jodi Picoult

This is the third book I've read by Jodi Picoult and she continues to amaze me. She tackles hard subjects. The first one I read was called My Sister's Keeper, and is about a girl who sues her parents (no joke). The second, Nineteen Minutes, is about a high school shooting, and lastly, Keeping Faith is about a little girl who sees God and the ensuing media frenzy and custody battle between her recently divorced parents. The plot is fairly straightforward, the characters are real, and it is just emotionally taxing. I really feel for her characters every time. Please note these are not Relief Society book club books. There is language, sometimes sex, and they are all somewhat controversial. Like about a little girl seeing and talking to God. I had some issues with the subject, but the book really was a page turner. I was up until 2am one night just glued to the pages and couldn't give it up. If you're up for it, I highly recommend these. Anybody else read anything by Picoult?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I read Nineteen Minutes a few months ago, and I couldn't put it down, even when I wanted to because I thought it was really disturbing! However, I've found myself reflecting back on the subject matter pretty often since I finished the book, which I guess means Picoult did her job. I don't know if I can take any more from her though.